Heirloom Tomato Salad
This is an easy recipe created out of an abundance of mint, basil, and tomatoes in our garden each late summer. I love how gorgeous thickly sliced heirlooms look on a plate. We often pair this with Ray's grilled pizza and a bottle of wine. Perfect, simple dinner with friends on a lovely Portland evening.
2 large (or 3 to 4 medium) heirloom tomatoes, sliced thick
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup basil leaves
1/4 cup mint leaves
salt and pepper to taste
Optional: salad greens
1. Place sliced tomatoes in container and drizzle with olive oil and vinegar.
2. Marinate for at least a half hour at room temperature.
3. (Optionally) Place washed salad greens on serving plate.
4. Spread tomato slices on place and drizzle with remainder of marinade.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Sprinkle on basil and mint leaves and serve.
Based on a recipe originally found in Sunset Magazine